- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper; rub over steak. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly.
Grill the steak, covered, over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145; medium, 160; well-done, 170).
Place onion slices on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 inches square). Fold foil around onion; seal tightly. Add to grill with steak.Grill, covered, over medium heat 16 to 20 minutes or until tender.Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
Let the steak stand 5 minutes before slicing.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the greens, beans, red peppers and grilled onion.
In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, basil, oil and mustard. Pour 1/4 cup over salad; toss to coat. Divide among four salad plates. Slice flank steak across the grain; arrange over salads. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Serves 4.
(Recipe courtesy of "Easy Weeknight Dinners")