Evacuation

Miranda Talluto waits with Ziggy, her Australian shepherd, as The Arena at the Central Wyoming Fairgrounds was evacuated during the American Kennel Club Agility Trials for a strong natural gas smell Saturday afternoon.

DAN CEPEDA | star-tribune

A heater emitting gas but no heat leaked enough carbon monoxide to cause concern Saturday afternoon at the Central Wyoming Fairgrounds Arena in Casper, prompting Casper Fire/EMS to evacuate participants in the Agility Club of Central Wyoming’s dog agility trials.

Participants reported experiencing headaches and nausea since the canine competition began Friday, and a concerned bystander made an emergency call Saturday afternoon. Two fire crews and an ambulance arrived at the fairgrounds at about 3:45 p.m.

“This being the first cold snap, everybody’s heaters are kicking on, including industrial heaters,” said Fire/EMS public information officer Craig Kidder.

And if a system has sprung a leak or developed another problem over the summer, it shows itself now, Kidder said.

Emergency crews detected carbon monoxide in the arena before entering the building, and then began natural ventilation by opening doors and windows. Participants were allowed back into the building by about 4:45 p.m., after crews had closed off the leak and informed participants to leave doors and windows open.

No one was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning or any other complications at the scene. Kidder said participants felt immediately better upon getting a breath of fresh air.

Reach county reporter Leah Todd at 307-266-0592 or leah.todd@trib.com. Follow her on Twitter @leahktodd.

Angry
0
Sad
0
Funny
0
Wow
0
Love
0

Load comments