Casper Youth Crisis Center plans move forward

2011-10-13T07:00:00Z 2012-08-06T20:54:11Z Casper Youth Crisis Center plans move forwardBy JOSHUA WOLFSON Star-Tribune staff writer Casper Star-Tribune Online

A new building will allow the Youth Crisis Center to concentrate on its mission, rather than its finances, supporters said Wednesday.

The building, which received informal approval this week from the Casper City Council, could save the center $150,000 a year.

“You could take the savings and make sure the Youth Crisis Center is on good financial footing,” Mayor Paul Bertoglio said. “Looking toward the future, that takes one of the headaches off the table for them. Then they can turn around and focus on providing services.”

Funding issues have been a concern for the nonprofit group that runs Casper’s emergency children’s shelter and group home. The former head of the center resigned earlier this year to help the organization save money. Last year, the center sought public donations to keep from cutting services.

Housing all of the children it serves under one roof should save the center money on staffing, utility and other costs, Bertoglio said.

The new building would be constructed on city land along 12th Street, between the LifeSteps Campus and the Meals on Wheels building. It would be paid for with funding from the state, the city of Casper, Natrona County and the center itself.

The building would serve as the center’s emergency shelter and longer-term group home. Right now, the shelter and group home are operated out of separate buildings.

“We are bringing everything together, and hopefully they will be much more effective in providing those services,” Bertoglio said.

A new building will also help the center separate different populations of kids, said Executive Director Stacy Nelson. A younger child, for instance, won’t have to witness police officers bringing an older child into the facility.

“I think that is a benefit to the kids,” she said.

Under the agreement informally approved by the council, the city would pay $350,000, while the county would contribute $490,000, partially through the sale of the center’s existing McKinley Street building, which is owned by the county. The city also received $1 million from the state for the project.

The Youth Crisis Center board, meanwhile, would pay the city $190,000, at least partially through the sale of the Hemry House group home. The center would also be responsible for raising $400,000 to cover other costs.

The agreement must still be formally approved by the City Council and the Natrona County Commission. Bertoglio expects construction will begin later this year, with an opening sometime in 2012.

Contact Joshua Wolfson at 307-266-0582 or at josh.wolfson@trib.com. Visit http://trib.com/news/opinion/blogs/wolfjammies to read his blog. Follow him on Twitter @joshwolfson.

Copyright 2015 Casper Star-Tribune Online. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

No Comments Posted.

Untitled Document

Civil Dialogue

We provide this community forum for readers to exchange ideas and opinions on the news of the day. Passionate views, pointed criticism and critical thinking are welcome. Name-calling, crude language and personal abuse are not welcome. Moderators will monitor comments with an eye toward maintaining a high level of civility in this forum. Our comment policy explains the rules of the road for registered commenters.

If your comment was not approved, perhaps...

  1. You called someone an idiot, a racist, a dope, a moron, etc. Please, no name-calling or profanity (or veiled profanity -- #$%^&*).

  2. You rambled, failed to stay on topic or exhibited troll-like behavior intended to hijack the discussion at hand.

  3. YOU SHOUTED YOUR COMMENT IN ALL CAPS. This is hard to read and annoys readers.

  4. You have issues with a business. Have a bad meal? Feel you were overcharged at the store? New car is a lemon? Contact the business directly with your customer service concerns.

  5. You believe the newspaper's coverage is unfair. It would be better to write the editor at editors@trib.com, or call Editor Jason Adrians at 266-0545 or Content Director David Mayberry at 266-0633. This is a forum for community discussion, not for media criticism. We'd rather address your concerns directly.

  6. You included an e-mail address or phone number, pretended to be someone you aren't or offered a comment that makes no sense.

  7. You accused someone of a crime or assigned guilt or punishment to someone suspected of a crime.

  8. Your comment is in really poor taste.

Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Featured Businesses

Latest Offers