A Casper man was sentenced Wednesday morning to 16 to 20 years in prison for shooting another man in the early morning hours following Super Bowl Sunday.

Travis Hall pleaded guilty to attempted voluntary manslaughter in July, after prosecutors agreed to reduce charges in exchange for his plea. He had faced up to life in prison on the initial charges.

Hall, who appeared in court with a freshly shorn head, said he had been using his time in jail to recover from an alcohol problem.

“If this never would’ve happened, I never would’ve got ahold of my alcohol dependency,” he said.

Hall had previously said he was in a blackout when the shooting took place.

In handing down his sentence, Natrona County District Court Judge Daniel Forgey ordered Hall to pay $9,346 in restitution and gave the defendant credit for 247 days served.

Hall’s attorney, Rob Oldham, had argued for a sentence of 10 to 11 years, citing his client’s limited criminal history and focus on battling his alcohol problem. Oldham said Hall’s only other encounter with the law was for public intoxication as a minor.

“I would be totally shocked if he ever picked up a drink again,” Oldham said in arguing for the shorter sentence.

Prosecutor Dan Itzen asked the judge to sentence Hall to 18 to 20 years in prison, noting Hall’s limited criminal history before citing the nature of the crime.

“He sure jumped into the deep end of the swimming pool on this one,” Itzen said.

Hall was arrested in the early morning hours of Feb. 6.

Court documents indicate he was at a home in the 1700 block of South Washington St. when one of the hosts asked him to leave. Hall refused and was physically pushed out of the house.

Hall then broke one of the home’s front windows. When one of the residents opened the front door to see what was happening, Hall shot him.

The victim survived, but was hospitalized after the bullet entered his left arm, passed through the area of his sternum and exited on the right side of his chest, according to the court documents.

Hall pleaded not guilty to attempted second-degree murder, aggravated assault and use of a deadly weapon before prosecutors amended the charges. As part of the plea deal struck in July, Oldham was bound to argue for at least 10 years in prison. Prosecutors’ arguments were capped by state law which allows imprisonment of up to 20 years for the manslaughter charge.

Follow crime reporter Shane Sanderson on Twitter @shanersanderson

Angry
0
Sad
0
Funny
0
Wow
1
Love
2

Load comments