Tony Cercy

Tony Cercy makes his initial appearance in Natrona County Circut Court in July. The Casper business owner faces multiple sexual assault charges. He has pleaded not guilty.

Alan Rogers, Star-Tribune

Tony Cercy’s sexual assault trial should begin in February, Natrona County District Court Judge Daniel Forgey decided Friday.

The trial is expected to last six days, from Feb. 12 to Feb. 20, with time off for Presidents’ Day and the weekend, Forgey said in a court conference.

District Attorney Mike Blonigen said he thought the trial would only take four to five days, but had no opposition to a six day trial. Criminal trials typically last three days in district court.

Colorado criminal defense lawyer Pamela Mackey, who is representing Cercy in the case, had asked for a six-day trial at Cercy’s last court appearance.

Cercy only spoke briefly at the 23-minute hearing to tell the judge his name and say he was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs. He remained mostly still except to look at notes scratched out by his local attorney, Ian Sandefer.

Forgey also ordered both the prosecution and defense to exchange evidence and provide lists of the witnesses they would call at trial by Nov. 20, to file all motions in the case by Dec. 11, and to file all responses to those motions by Dec. 29.

After a brief squabble over the deadline for providing already recorded witness statements, Forgey said those should be exchanged Nov. 3.

Blonigen said he thought that the defense was already in possession of recorded statements made by the defendant.

Similarly, Mackey said that she understood the prosecution had already prepared at least 20 witness statements.

Cercy is facing first-, second- and third-degree charges of sexual assault. All three charges are felonies, and the first-degree charge is punishable by up to 50 years in prison.

A 20-year-old woman has alleged Cercy raped her on a couch at his Alcova house early on the morning of June 25. She told investigators she woke to him performing oral sex on her.

The 55-year-old businessman and philanthropist is free on a $100,000 bond. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges in the case.

Cercy is known for investing widely in downtown Casper since selling his manufacturing company, Power Service Inc., in April 2016.

The attorneys are due back in court on Jan. 9, when Forgey will consider all motions in the case.

Follow crime reporter Shane Sanderson on Twitter @shanersanderson

7
1
1
2
1

Shane Sanderson is a Star-Tribune reporter who primarily covers criminal justice. Sanderson is a proud University of Missouri graduate. Lately, he’s been reading Cormac McCarthy and cooking Italian food. He writes about his own life in his free time.

Load comments