A prank bomb threat was made against Natrona County High School via an anonymous tip app on Wednesday, authorities said.
The threat was made to the Safe2Tell app at roughly 2:30 p.m., according to the Natrona County School District. Law enforcement responded to the school; by 3 p.m. there were roughly 10 Casper Police Department cars in front of the school or in its immediate area, though none had lights on.
Officials “very quickly” determined the threat was a prank, according to the district, and the individual responsible for the prank is in custody. The school was not placed on a lockout or lockdown.
Casper Police Lt. Ben Mattila declined to say whether the suspect was a student. He did not provide any other details about the individual. He said the Natrona County Sheriff’s Department also responded.
A bomb squad was on standby but, as authorities determined the threat was a prank, it was ultimately not deployed.
The threat is the latest in a recent wave of similar incidents in Natrona County since the Feb. 14 shooting at a Parkland, Florida, high school. All of the district’s schools were locked out in mid-March after a student who had previously made threats was implicated in the theft of a handgun. In February, Poison Spider was placed on a lockout after an “unspecific threat” was made.
Days before that, police responded to Journey Elementary and the vacant Grant Elementary over a report of an active shooter. The threat was also determined to be a prank made by a pair of second-graders.
Still, in the wake of the threats, the violence in Florida and recent reports of bullying, the school district has announced it’s rolling out a 10-point safety plan that overhauls everything from access to buildings to how it communicates with the public and media in crisis situations.