CODY — The city of Cody plans to impose new restrictions before the Cody gunfight show can resume after three spectators were hurt during what police say was a mix-up or a mishap involving the weapons.
Cody Mayor Nancy Tia Brown said safety comes first, and there has to be a way to ensure safety.
“No one in this room could in good conscience want to compromise the safety of our citizens and our visitors,” Brown said at a city council meeting.
One suggestion is to require that all the guns in the show are used only for the show and locked up between performances. Another would require the gunfighters to have an independent gun safety manager to oversee all of their performances and inspect the weapons before the shows.
The Cody Gunfighters put on a free old West show in front of the Irma Hotel during the summer tourist season.
Police say three tourists, including a 3-year-old child, suffered minor injuries on July 29 because of a problem with weapons. Officers responded to a report that the spectators had been hit by “some type of fragments,” according to Cody Police Chief Chuck Baker.
Baker has temporarily suspended the Cody Gunfighters’ authorization to discharge firearms in town. The city council voted unanimously to continue that suspension until new safety rules are in place.
The gunfighters said they have a good record and they want the weapons to be safe too.
“We’re shooting at each other,” said gunfighter Don Bash.