The Sheridan Fire-Rescue Department responded to a structure fire at 310 Nighthawk Court at 9:36 a.m. on Thursday.
No one was home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.
Flames were coming from a basement window and up the south wall of the home, according to a press release from Brian Songer, Sheridan fire marshal.
Firefighters were met by heavy flames in the basement and the main level living room. The fire was knocked down and under control within 20 minutes.
Firefighters stayed on the scene into the afternoon, removing smoldering debris and knocking down hot spots in the walls and floors. Fire damage was contained to the basement and main level living room. Severe heat and smoke damage was sustained throughout the home and contents.
Fire investigators said the origin of the fire was in the southeast corner of a basement room. The cause of the fire was determined to be a malfunction of a foot control for a sewing machine in the room. The foot control overheated, igniting the carpet and sewing materials.
The home is owned by Glen and Diana Wright.