- 6 eggs, separated
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme, optional
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 8 to 8-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350. Line bottoms of three greased 8-inch square baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk orange juice and sour cream. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars and orange peel until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If desired, beat in thyme. Add flour mixture alternately with orange juice mixture, beating well after each addition.
With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Gently fold in shredded carrots and pecans.
Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, orange peel and juice until blended. Gradually beat in enough confectioners' sugar to reach the desired consistency.
Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
(Recipe courtesy of "Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014")