You are the owner of this page.
A2 A2
Crime-and-courts
breaking
Natrona County man sentenced to 15-25 years for shooting into house near Bar Nunn

A judge on Wednesday sentenced a Natrona County man to 15 to 25 years in prison for shooting into a house near Bar Nunn in April.

Judge Daniel Forgey handed down Lyle J. Clark’s sentence in keeping with an agreement between defense and prosecuting attorneys. Clark pleaded guilty earlier this year to two counts of aggravated assault with habitual criminal enhancements. In exchange, prosecutors agreed to lower enhancement penalties, which had previously carried a potential sentence of life imprisonment.

In Natrona County District Court on Wednesday, Clark declined to speak when the judge gave him the opportunity to do so. His attorney, Kerri Johnson, of the public defender’s office, said Clark had shown maturity while out on bond.

“He showed up here today knowing he was gonna do a 15- to 25-year sentence,” she said.

The hearing began at 10 a.m. with prosecutor Dan Itzen asking one of the victims of the shooting to speak. Teinja Womack, who was sitting on her bed when Clark shot into her Bar Nunn-area trailer home and killed her cat, Morris, said she could have easily died in the shooting.

“If that cat had not been hit, that bullet would have gone into me,” she said.

Womack said Clark had represented himself as her friend for decades before the shooting. She said she did not have the words to describe the emotional burden the shooting carried.

“There is no justification for what he did to me and my family,” Womack said, her voice breaking.

Itzen then recommended the 15- to 25-year sentence before Johnson spoke.

The defense attorney said her client had thought law enforcement wasn’t dealing with a case properly and took things into his own hands. She said Clark now understands how he acted was not appropriate.

After Clark declined to speak, Forgey handed down the sentence and Clark was taken into custody.


Natrona County Sheriff's Office 

Clark


Recreation
Montana wildlife officials move ahead on grizzly regs despite federal delisting stall

Montana’s wildlife officials may keep planning to manage grizzly bears even though federal efforts to take them off the Endangered Species List appear stalled.

The state Fish and Wildlife Commission plans on Monday in Helena, Montana, to vote on a formal rule governing how it will regulate grizzly populations in the Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem (NCDE). But the failure of a federal delisting plan for grizzlies in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming in September has put additional delistings in doubt.

“We were on track to have a (NCDE delisting) proposal by the end of this calendar year,” U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service grizzly recovery coordinator Hillary Cooley told the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee’s November meeting in Missoula, Montana. “That’s not on track anymore.”

The service has until Dec. 24 to decide to appeal the U.S. District Court’s Yellowstone ruling to the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. Cooley said the delisting problems raised by the judge made it hard to choose between a legal appeal or an administrative reconsideration of a stronger rule. In a presentation to a Wyoming legislative committee on Nov. 29, Cooley said an appeal could take two years. Redoing the rule would take at least a year, followed by a year of public review.

Montana’s Fish, Wildlife & Parks Department (FWP) would have prime jurisdiction over the estimated 1,000 grizzlies in the 16,000-square-mile Northern Continental Divide Ecosystem that extends from Glacier National Park to the southern tip of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex.

The Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) developed a conservation strategy for how to manage grizzly populations, handle conflicts and prevent the bears from returning to threatened or endangered federal status. Montana FWP Director Martha Williams asked the commission to consider adopting those rules as part of state regulations.

“With the bears still being listed, what we say as a state really doesn’t matter,” FWP Wildlife Program Director Ken McDonald said at the Missoula IGBC meeting. “But upon delisting, people can understand where the department is coming from as far as population management goes.”

The agency received about 5,200 public comments during its 60-day review period. FWP spokesman Greg Lemon said given the amount of work already put into the regulations, it was best for the commission to finish the job and hold them in reserve if and when grizzlies get turned over to state management.

Meanwhile, FWP has sent a request for nearly $900,000 over two years for grizzly conflict management to the governor’s budget planning process. While the money would come from state license revenue and federal wildlife programs and not the general fund, the agency still needs legislative permission for the spending.

The grizzly program seeks $424,174 in 2020 to add bear management specialists in Red Lodge and Conrad as well as continue bear conflict positions in Missoula, Bozeman and Libby, Montana. A similar amount would be spent in 2021. The request notes the positions help “support delisting of these populations.”

A separate request for about $130,000 would pay for a wildlife planner position that would direct management actions for mountain goat, antelope, moose, fisher, Canada lynx and wolverine populations as well as build a statewide plan for grizzly bears inside and outside their recovery areas. The request covers one position with a similar amount asked in 2021.

“Delisting is a big process,” FWP Wildlife Bureau Coordinator Quentin Kujala said. “It will take its time. It’s not going to be tomorrow. So we have to manage the bear proactively where we can and reactively where we have to. When we talk about delisting, that’s an end objective. It represents a conservation success story when the species doesn’t need that federal protection.”


Crime-and-courts
Truck driver arrested on suspicion of DUI after Casper wreck that hospitalized three

Police arrested a Colorado truck driver Tuesday evening on suspicion of drunk driving after a multiple-vehicle wreck near a busy Casper intersection sent three people to the hospital.

Adrian Villa, 42, of Thornton, Colorado, told police he had been drinking but did not know what had happened in the wreck, according to court documents in the case.

The documents state witnesses on the scene said Villa’s tractor trailer hit multiple vehicles around 6:42 p.m. as it traveled southbound on Poplar Street toward First Street. Three people went to the hospital as a result of the wreck, and one of the injured was diagnosed with minor fractures to her vertebrae.

Police found an opened pint of Fireball whiskey on the dash of Villa’s truck, the documents state. He told police he took he last drink at about 5 p.m., about two hours after leaving Billings, Montana. Villa said he did not know what state he was in at the time of the wreck, the documents state.

A blood sample taken by Wyoming Medical Center staff indicated Villa’s blood alcohol content was .364, more than four times the legal limit, according to the documents.

Villa was jailed and is expected to appear in court at 2 p.m. Wednesday. He told police he was arrested for drunk driving about 4 months ago, the documents state.