Breakfast for supper is a favorite in our house.
Most of the time it's along the usual lines of morning fare — grits, eggs, toast, maybe pancakes or cereal.
But these Blueberry French Toast Sandwiches certainly kick things up a notch, and would be delightful for breakfast, brunch or dinner.
It's your basic French toast with a yummy spread of blueberry sandwiched between two slices.
Now who's going to say no to that, no matter what time of day it is?
Blueberry French Toast Sandwiches
Makes 4 servings.
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon water
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 slices bread
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Powdered sugar
- 4 orange twists
1. Combine blueberries, maple syrup and orange peel in small saucepan. Dissolve cornstarch in water; add to blueberry mixture. Cook and stir until mixture boils; reduce heat and simmer 1 minute or until mixture thickens.
2. Combine eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg; mix well.
3. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture. Cook each slice in small amount of butter in skillet or on griddle about 2 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
4. Place one slice on each individual plate, spread with 3 tablespoons blueberry mixture, top with second slice and 1 tablespoon blueberry mixture.
5. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with more blueberries and orange twists.
(c)2020 The Advocate, Baton Rouge, La.
Visit The Advocate, Baton Rouge, La. at www.theadvocate.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
In this Series
- 7 updates
Satisfy your cravings
With our weekly newsletter packed with the latest in everything food.