Aaron Gish

Aaron Gish

The Mills Police Department has arrested a man for involuntary manslaughter. Aaron Michael Gish was taken into custody Thursday evening, 10 days after shooting his older brother, Ryan Gish, police say.

Aaron Gish made his initial appearance at Natrona County Circuit Court on Friday. Gish stood flanked by his two attorneys as Judge Michael Huber read the lone felony charge.

On Sept. 17, police received an early afternoon call that a man had been accidentally shot on Fourth Avenue. Upon arrival, police found Ryan Gish was suffering from a wound to the abdomen and wrist. He was transported to the Wyoming Medical Center and pronounced dead shortly thereafter.

According to the Natrona County Coroner’s Office, Ryan Gish’s cause of death was a single gunshot wound near the abdomen and chest area that struck the heart. The manner of death was ruled accidental, said Coroner Connie Jacobson. Toxicology and autopsy test results will be available in a few weeks.

According to the affidavit, no one aside from the brothers was present at the residence at the time of the incident. The younger Gish admitted that the 9 mm pistol in question was his, and that he accidentally shot his brother.

Aaron Gish told police officers that he and his brother were having a conversation while he was manipulating the pistol. He reportedly admitted that he intentionally squeezed the trigger but could not explain why, despite his firearm training.

Officers say Gish admitted in at least one interview that he consumed marijuana that day. Suspected methamphetamine was additionally found in the house.

Police say there was no history of animosity between the two brothers, nor was there any evidence of conflict or struggle at the time of the shooting.

On Friday, Defense Attorney Jakob Norman disputed the state’s request for a $20,000 bond, asking instead for $2,500. Norman cited his client’s work ethic and cooperation with police throughout the investigation.

Norman said not only did Gish call to report the shooting, he voluntarily waived his rights upon questioning.

“He’s tried to help out as much as possible,” he said.

Huber settled on a $10,000 bond.

Gish will receive a preliminary hearing to determine whether the case will move to district court in the upcoming weeks.

Get the latest local news delivered daily directly to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Reach crime reporter Megan Cassidy at 307-266-0534 or megan.cassidy@trib.com. Follow her on Twitter @meganrcassidy.


Load comments