Subscribe for 33¢ / day

Prosecutors will likely seek a sentence of life imprisonment without the chance of parole for the Casper teen charged with raping and attempting to kill a 4-year-old girl.

Natrona County District Attorney Michael Blonigen filed a notice two weeks ago that he planned to pursue the sentence — the most serious sentence short of execution — in the case of Brandtly Bedsaul.

“That based upon investigation that has been conducted at this time, the State has elected to seek a penalty of life without the possibility of parole or commutation or life” for the charge of attempted first-degree murder, the court document states.

Casper police arrested Bedsaul in October after law enforcement received a report that he was raping a girl in the front yard of the Casper home where he lived. Authorities found the girl unresponsive and covered in blood when they arrived.

The girl had been attending an event with her parents at the home. One of the people at the house noticed that the girl was missing from the group of children and went outside to look for her. He told police that he then saw Bedsaul choking the naked girl near some bushes in the front lawn, the documents state.

Medical staff at the Wyoming Medical Center said the girl had injuries indicating she had been sexually assaulted as well as bruising on her neck that suggested she had been strangled, court documents show.

Investigators later wrote that there were indications that Bedsaul had been under the influence of a controlled substance at the time of the alleged crimes.

Bedsaul pleaded not guilty by reason of mental illness to four charges — attempted first-degree murder, first-degree sexual abuse of a minor, aggravated assault and aggravated child abuse — at his arraignment in December.

Bedsaul previously underwent a forensic evaluation with staff from the Wyoming State Hospital and was expected to complete a second evaluation with a doctor from Colorado at the request of his public defender.

His trial is currently scheduled to begin Aug. 7, court records show. Bedsaul remained in custody on $1 million bond.

He was also sentenced in May to between two and five years in prison for each of two burglary charges for breaking into cars parked at Washington Park.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Follow crime and courts reporter Elise Schmelzer on Twitter @eliseschmelzer


Load comments