Subscribe for 33¢ / day

Two suspects are in custody after a man broke into a house in Bar Nunn on Wednesday evening and attacked the occupants, according to the Natrona County Sheriff’s Office.

The sheriff’s office apprehended the man and a woman who accompanied him, officials said.

Authorities say the victims, a 71-year-old man and a 70-year-old woman, are the suspects’ neighbors. The two victims were taken to the Wyoming Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.

Deputies responded to the Bar Nunn home in the 4800 block of Bel Vista Drive about 10:24 p.m. Wednesday. They learned a man had forced his way inside and attacked the people living there.

The man was gone before deputies arrived. They found him Thursday morning at his home, which is on the same street, and deputies with the sheriff office’s Special Response Team took the man and the woman into custody just after 9 a.m. No deputies with the Natrona County Sheriff’s Office were injured.

Investigators don’t believe the female suspect broke into the home on Wednesday, but she is being held in custody in connection to the incident.

The sheriff’s office declined Thursday morning to release information about the suspects’ identity, the weapon used or how the male suspect entered the victims’ home. Sgt. Aaron Shatto said that deputies continue to investigate why the suspect broke into the home and attacked the residents.

Used pepper spray canisters lay on the slushy ground outside the suspects’ home Thursday morning. Two windows looking into the living room and bedroom were broken. Curtains and blinds hung out of the windows in tatters. Three more windows along the back of the house were broken as well.

Inside the bedroom, a mattress was pushed up against a wall covered in American flag wallpaper.

Bar Nunn Elementary was placed on a temporary lockout for around two hours Thursday morning because of a law enforcement issue in the area, said Natrona County School District spokeswoman Tanya Southerland. All students and staff are safe.

She said the district received notice from law enforcement at around 7:15 a.m. and the lockout was lifted at around 9:20 a.m.

Faculty and staff were informed before students arrived on campus, Southerland said, and when district officials were told that the situation was ongoing, they alerted parents, again before students were at the elementary.

Staff and students were directed to go inside the building immediately upon arriving, Southerland said. All doors to the building were locked, but normal activities continued inside the school.

Officials said that a lockout is different from a lockdown, a situation in which someone may be trying to break in and students and staff are directed to shelter in place.

Star-Tribune staff writer Arno Rosenfeld contributed to this report.


Education and Health Reporter

Seth Klamann joined the Star-Tribune in 2016 and covers education and health. A 2015 graduate of the University of Missouri and proud Kansas City native, Seth worked for newspapers in Milwaukee and Omaha before coming to Casper.

Load comments