You have permission to edit this article.
Woman arrested after chaotic Glenrock crime spree pleads guilty

Woman arrested after chaotic Glenrock crime spree pleads guilty

  • Updated

A woman arrested in June after a Glenrock crime spree where one of the suspects allegedly fired at authorities pleaded guilty to three felonies in federal court Thursday.

Santana Keener entered the pleas to three charges: conspiracy to distribute heroin or methamphetamine, discharging a firearm in relation to a drug trafficking crime, and aiding and abetting a carjacking. The firearm charge carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

The remaining charges will be dismissed as part of the plea deal, court documents show. The details of the deal were not available Thursday as they were placed under seal.

Law enforcement arrested Keener and her boyfriend, Christopher Eads, in June after the couple fled an attempted traffic stop on Interstate 25. State troopers and agents with the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation pursued the couple as they fled. During the pursuit, Eads allegedly fired at law enforcement vehicles.

The couple’s Toyota then exited the interstate at Glenrock and the pair abandoned the car, court documents allege. While police searched the area they received a report of an elderly woman who was bleeding from the head.

The woman said that a man entered her home through the back door, pushed her to the ground, attacked her and took her car keys. The woman, who is in her 80s, was later found to have a broken rib, a broken toe and a laceration to her scalp that required 18 staples to close, the documents state.

Law enforcement later found the woman’s car abandoned in a nearby drainage ditch. Officers also found Keener, who was hiding in a field about 400 yards away from the crashed vehicle.

Police arrested Keener, who later admitted to officers that she was in the car during the interstate chase and handed a gun to Eads, who then shot at pursuing officers. She also said she witnessed Eads attack the elderly woman and steal a law enforcement vehicle. She also said she and Eads had been traveling with a “large amount of controlled substances,” documents show.

Authorities later found 18 grams of heroin in Keener’s person during a cavity search after her arrest.

Agents with the Division of Criminal Investigation had been surveilling Eads because they believed he was a “major distributor” of methamphetamine and heroin in the Casper area, documents show.

Law enforcement arrested Eads hours later. The man allegedly drove to Casper, hid in a car shop and refused to exit when police arrived. After hours of negotiation, he was taken into custody.

Eads’ trial in federal court is scheduled to begin Monday in Casper. He faces nine felonies and a potential sentence of life imprisonment.

Keener’s sentencing is scheduled for Feb. 22 at the federal courthouse in Casper.

Follow features editor Elise Schmelzer on Twitter @eliseschmelzer


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News