Subscribe for 33¢ / day

A Casper man will spend the rest of his life in prison for the rape and attempted murder of a 4-year-old girl in the front yard of a Casper home last year.

Judge Thomas Sullins on Friday sentenced Brandtly Bedsaul to 60 years to life for attempted murder and 40 to 50 years for first-degree sexual abuse of a minor. The sentences will run one after the other. Bedsaul has already spent more than a year in jail.

Before Sullins delivered the sentence, Bedsaul read a prepared statement from the court lectern. Speaking in a soft voice, he apologized to his victim and her family, twisting at the waist to look toward where the family sat, surrounded by Casper police officers. He then apologized to his own family.

He said he will seek substance-use treatment and take his medication in prison as he seeks rehabilitation.

Sullins described Bedsaul’s crimes as “absolutely horrific.” He said the long sentence made sense in part because of the young age of the victim and the effect the attack has had on her life.

The sentence was consistent with a plea agreement laid out in July that recommended Bedsaul serve 100 to 110 years in prison on the two felonies.

Bedsaul will also be required to pay more than $48,000 in restitution, including $43,741.10 to Wyoming Medicaid.

Friday’s sentencing lasted only 20 minutes — a relatively short time given the nature of the crime. Prosecutor Dan Itzen spoke briefly to recommend the sentence outlined in the plea agreement. He said family members of the victim were in the courtroom but did not want to speak. They had previously submitted a written statement to the judge outlining the affect Bedsaul’s crimes have had on their lives.

Defense attorney Kerri Johnson recommended the same sentence as Itzen and then said that mental health issues were a contributing factor in the crime.

“This is what happens at the intersection of untreated mental health issues and substance abuse,” Johnson said.

Johnson called for making mental health treatment more readily available to juveniles, noting that her client served 11 stints in a mental health facility before the age of 18. Ultimately, however, Johnson said that Bedsaul is responsible for his actions.

After the hearing, Itzen commended Casper Police Department’s work on the case.

“A hundred years will give Mr. Bedsaul some time to work on himself,” Itzen said.

Casper police officers arrested Bedsaul in October 2016 after police received a report that he was raping a girl in the front yard of the Casper home where he lived. When authorities arrived, the girl was unresponsive and covered in blood.

The girl had been attending an event with her parents at the home. One of the people at the house noticed that the girl was missing from the group of children and went outside to look for her. He told police that he then saw Bedsaul choking the naked girl near some bushes in the front lawn, the documents state.

Medical staff at the Wyoming Medical Center said the girl had injuries indicating she had been sexually assaulted as well as bruising on her neck that suggested she had been strangled, court documents show.

Investigators later wrote that there were indications that Bedsaul had been under the influence of a controlled substance at the time.

Bedsaul, 20, initially pleaded not guilty by reason of mental illness. He underwent two mental evaluations throughout the court proceedings before striking the plea deal.

Follow crime reporter Shane Sanderson on Twitter @shanersanderson


Crime and Courts Reporter

Shane Sanderson is a Star-Tribune reporter who primarily covers criminal justice. Sanderson is a proud University of Missouri graduate. Lately, he’s been reading Cormac McCarthy and cooking Italian food. He writes about his own life in his free time.

Load comments