Subscribe for 33¢ / day
Christopher Eads and Santana Keener

Christopher Eads and Santana Keener

One of the suspects in a crime spree that led to a standoff in Casper on Saturday exchanged gunfire with law enforcement during a chase and assaulted an elderly woman in Glenrock, newly filed court documents allege.

The details are included in court papers attached to three felony drug charges filed against another of the suspects, Santana Keener. She appeared in court Tuesday in Douglas.

The male suspect arrested in connection to the incidents in Glenrock and Casper — Christopher Eads — had been hospitalized at Wyoming Medical Center between his arrest early Sunday and Wednesday, said Frosty Williams, deputy director of the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation. Eads was released from the hospital in the late afternoon Wednesday and was then booked into the Natrona County Detention Center, he said.

Williams declined to specify what condition kept Eads in the hospital.

Eads is suspected of firing at officers during the pursuit. He’s also alleged to have beaten the elderly woman, assaulted a Glenrock police officer and stolen a patrol vehicle.

Keener was charged Tuesday in Converse County Circuit Court with one count of possession of heroin, one count of possession of heroin with intent to deliver and one count of entering a building with intent to commit a felony, according to court documents filed Wednesday. Authorities found 18 grams of heroin in Keener’s person during a cavity search after her arrest.

She made her first court appearance Tuesday in circuit court, where her bond was set at $25,000, authorities at the Converse County Detention Center said.

The court documents in Keener’s case shed light on the events of Saturday night.


Agents with the Division of Criminal Investigation had been surveilling Keener and Eads since April because they believed the pair were trafficking heroin, methamphetamine and other drugs from Colorado to Casper, court documents show.

On Saturday, law enforcement located a Toyota Sequoia that the two had been known to use during their trips to Colorado. DCI agents as well as Wyoming Highway Patrol agents attempted to stop the vehicle about 9:30 p.m. as it traveled near mile marker 177 on Interstate 25 near Casper.

However, the vehicle refused to stop and led law enforcement on a pursuit “at a high rate of speed,” the documents state. A man — later identified as Eads — began shooting a handgun toward a trooper’s vehicle shortly after the chase began.

Troopers used road spikes a few miles down the interstate to puncture the Toyota’s front tires. The Toyota continued down the interstate toward Casper for a time before the suspects turned off the Toyota’s headlights and stopped in the median. They then turned and drove toward law enforcement down the median, the documents state.

Agents and troopers shot at the Toyota as it drove past them on the median, according to the documents.

Incidents in Glenrock

The Toyota then pulled back onto the interstate and drove east at speeds topping 100 miles an hour before taking exit 165 toward Glenrock. Law enforcement followed the vehicle at a “safer distance.”

Law enforcement later located the abandoned vehicle at the intersection of Fourth and Fir streets in Glenrock.

During the search for Eads and Keener, law enforcement received a report of an elderly Glenrock woman bleeding from the head.

The woman told law enforcement that a man had come through the back door of her home in the 600 block of South Fifth Street and attacked her, the documents state. She said that the man, later identified as Eads, pushed her to the ground, then took her car keys off of her person.

The woman, who is in her 80s, was later found to have a broken rib, a broken toe and a laceration to her scalp that required 18 staples to close, the documents state.

Investigators found that someone had driven through the woman’s garage door, destroying it. They later found the woman’s car abandoned in a drainage ditch in northeast Glenrock.

Eads then stole a Glenrock police patrol vehicle after assaulting an officer and left the area of the drainage ditch, the court documents allege. Glenrock Police Chief Tim Hurd said Wednesday that the officer suffered minor injuries in the altercation and was back at work.

Keener, however, did not leave the area and law enforcement found her hiding in a field about 400 yards from the elderly woman’s crashed car, the documents state.

Interview with authorities

In an interview with DCI agents, Keener admitted to being involved in the I-25 pursuit. She said she handed a pistol to Eads, who then shot at law enforcement while driving. She said that both drove the Toyota at different points during the pursuit.

Keener said she saw Eads grab the elderly woman, push her to the ground and take the keys. Keener said she never entered the woman’s home but did ask if she was OK after the woman had been pushed down. She said she and Eads then took the woman’s car before crashing it.

Keener said she saw Eads take a law enforcement vehicle and that he told her to get in as she hid near the ditch. However, Keener wasn’t able to get in and fell back down into the ditch, at which point Eads drove off.

Details about the standoff in Casper and other events that happened after Keener’s arrest were not available in the court documents filed in her case. Williams said those details would become more clear after charges are filed against Eads in Natrona County Circuit Court.

Williams said that agents with the Division of Criminal Investigation continue to look into the incidents and that additional charges could be filed against Keener as the case progresses.

Follow crime and courts reporter Elise Schmelzer on Twitter @eliseschmelzer


Load comments