Two 17-year-olds charged as adults in connection with a Casper drive-by shooting have asked judges to move their cases to juvenile court, but court documents do not indicate any determinations have yet been made.
Isaiah R. White and Isaiah D. Dobbins face charges accusing them of being in a car driven by Matthew Neitert, 25, when — prosecutors say — teens pointed guns out the window and shot at an empty Paradise Valley home and cars parked out front. Nobody was injured in the shooting and charging documents do not make clear which of the five defendants prosecutors believe fired the weapons. All public charges directly connected to the shooting are being pursued under conspiracy laws, alleging involvement but not indicating that law enforcement believe a particular person squeezed the trigger.
Dobbins has pleaded not guilty to three felonies and White has not yet entered pleas to the two felonies he faces. If judges decide to move the cases to juvenile court, further proceedings will be closed. Any final outcomes will then likely not become public.
Nietert has pleaded not guilty to four felony charges and, because of his age, his case is not expected to become confidential.
Quincy Brow, 17, pleaded guilty last month in Natrona County District Court to a single felony related to the shooting and a felony drug possession charge. In exchange for the plea, prosecutors dismissed three other charges. Lawyers will ask he participate in a corrections department boot camp program as part of his sentence.
A fourth teenager faces juvenile charges in connection with the case. The details of that case have not been made public and such cases are closed in Wyoming. The Star-Tribune has decided not to publish his name because he has been charged in juvenile court. The outcome of juvenile proceedings will likely remain confidential.
A large portion of the most recent proceedings and associated arguments in White and Dobbins’ cases have not been public. The judges overseeing the cases agreed to seal prosecutors’ responses to requests to send the cases to juvenile court, and last week Judge Kerri Johnson closed a hearing on White’s request. White’s case file on Wednesday morning did not yet include a written ruling on the issue.
On Wednesday morning, Judge Catherine Wilking was scheduled to hear Dobbins’ request. The court file associated with his case had not been returned to the clerk’s office by mid-afternoon Wednesday. District Attorney Dan Itzen did not immediately respond to a Wednesday morning phone message asking if the judges had issued oral rulings in the hearings.
Prosecutors say the four boys and Nietert shot up a Paradise Valley home following an extensive social media feud.
When he pleaded guilty, Brow told Judge Daniel Forgey he’d been part of a group that got their hands on a Glock and a Smith and Wesson before going to another place in the county, where a person fired a gun at an unnamed person’s house. Brow said the group had done so in response to an outstanding threat.
“He said he was gonna shoot up our house,” Brow told the judge. “So after that, we retaliated.”
Brow didn’t name the people he conspired with or say who shot at the house. He also didn’t name the person who he alleged had threatened him or his co-conspirators.
Charging documents make allegations largely consistent with Brow’s admissions. The documents state White argued with an amateur boxer online and, after the boxer beat him in a fistfight, White, Dobbins, Brow and the juvenile defendant got in a car driven by Nietert. They then shot out a window at the boxer’s home and hit cars parked out front, according to prosecutors. The boxer was not home at the time, and nobody was injured in the shooting.