Subscribe for 33¢ / day

A Natrona County woman who watched her boyfriend beat two of their elderly neighbors will spend up to eight years in prison for failing to interject.

Natrona County District Court Judge Thomas Sullins sentenced Sharon Marie Hinkle, 46, to between six and eight years in the Wyoming Women’s Center for counts of conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery and conspiracy to commit aggravated assault. The sentences will run simultaneously.

Hinkle pleaded not guilty by reason of mental illness to the two felonies in April, but later pleaded guilty to the two charges. As part of the plea deal, she agreed to testify against her boyfriend, William Mason Quillin, if his case in connection to the attack goes to trial. She will also pay the victims, both in their 70s, a total of $500 in restitution. The victims were both injured after Quillin allegedly broke into their house in February and beat them while Hinkle watched.

“She did nothing to stop the violence,” Assistant District Attorney Trevor Schenk said at Hinkle’s sentencing hearing Tuesday morning. “She watched for some time.”

Hinkle’s attorney, Zak Szekely, said that Quillin was a “psychopath” and abused Hinkle. He said that Hinkle went along with the attempted robbery because she was afraid Quillin would hurt her.

“Mr. Quillin came into her life and destroyed it,” Szekely said.

Before Sullins handed down his sentence, Hinkle said she regretted not stopping the violence. She said that Quillin threatened to kill her that night.

“I was terrified,” she said. “I didn’t know what would happen to me if I did something.”

According to court documents, on Feb. 8 Quillin kicked down the front door of his neighbors house on Bel Vista Drive in Bar Nunn and demanded access to the a safe. The two residents of the home said there was no safe in the house.

Then, the documents state, Quillin attacked the 70-year-old female resident, pushing her to the ground and kicking her repeatedly. Hinkle, meanwhile, stood in the doorway and watched the assault, according to her statements to police.

The 71-year-old male resident fled the house and ran to a neighbor’s home to ask for help. Quillin then followed the man and “used his fists, feet, and a nearby snow shovel” to attack the man, court documents state. Quillin also allegedly tried to gouge the man’s eyes out.

Quillin stopped attacking the man when a neighbor opened a nearby front door. As Quillin walked away, he said “I’m going to kill this (expletive),” documents state.

Law enforcement later found the couple in a house on the same street. Hinkle and Quillin refused to leave the home and authorities used tear gas, tasers and bean bag rounds to take the two into custody.

Doctors at the Wyoming Medical Center found that the female victim had a broken pelvis and significant bruising to her ribs and left leg. The male victim had two broken ribs, a broken pelvis, blood in his lungs and lacerations on his hands and arms.

Quillin’s criminal case is stalled while he waits for psychological evaluation from the Wyoming State Hospital, the attorneys said Tuesday.

Follow features editor Elise Schmelzer on Twitter @eliseschmelzer


Load comments