{{featured_button_text}}

A Natrona County special response team responded to a domestic assault call northwest of Casper on Sunday, arresting a 51-year-old man after a two-and-a-half-hour standoff.

The Natrona County Sheriff’s Office released details of the incident Monday morning. Spokesman Taylor Courtney told media that when sheriff’s deputies responded to the call at 11:30 a.m. Sunday, they knew the male suspect was inside the home but was not answering the door.

The man had a “criminal history” that included “violent crimes,” Courtney said, so the deputies called in the special response team — effectively the county’s SWAT unit. After two and a half hours, they arrested William Martin after he exited the home and surrendered. Officers did not make a forced entry into the residence.

You have free articles remaining.

Become a Member

Courtney said no weapons were found, and investigators don’t believe controlled substances played a role in the incident. The alleged victim is listed as a family relation to Martin.

Courtney declined to discuss if there had been active negotiations with Martin that led him to surrender. The alleged victim was hospitalized with injuries that were not life-threatening, Courtney said, and she is in stable condition.

Martin is likely to make his first appearance in court Monday. Courtney said law enforcement are recommending a charge of domestic battery but stressed that the District Attorney’s Office will ultimately decide.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Follow education reporter Seth Klamann on Twitter @SethKlamann

2
0
4
3
1

Education and Health Reporter

Seth Klamann joined the Star-Tribune in 2016 and covers education and health. A 2015 graduate of the University of Missouri and proud Kansas City native, Seth worked for newspapers in Milwaukee and Omaha before coming to Casper.

Load comments