Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Machu Picchu reopens for single tourist who's been stranded in Peru for seven months
spotlight AP

Machu Picchu reopens for single tourist who's been stranded in Peru for seven months

{{featured_button_text}}
Machu Picchu reopens for single tourist who's been stranded in Peru for seven months

With help from the national Ministry of Culture, Jesse Katayama was given special permission to enter Machu Picchu — and to have the normally crowded site nearly all to himself.

Like many travelers around the world, Jesse Katayama found his dream trip thwarted by the spread of COVID-19.

But after an unexpected seven month stay in Peru, Katayama is finally crossing "visit Machu Picchu" off of his bucket list — and he got to enjoy being the only tourist there.

Katayama, a native of Osaka, Japan, arrived in Aguas Calientes — the town from which most people begin their Machu Picchu expeditions — on March 14.

He already had his entry ticket and permit to enter the UNESCO World Heritage site on March 16 in hand, but that was when the Peruvian government opted to close the site. Katayama was stranded.

Since then, the 26-year-old Katayama, a boxing instructor, has become a local in Aguas Calientes, where he has been renting a small room for the past seven months.

Although border closures have kept him from visiting other South American countries, he has made the best of his experience by exploring local attractions like Putucusi Mountain and the Calientes Waterfalls. He even taught boxing classes to some of the local kids and has made friends in his accidental new hometown.

Katayama said his goal is to open his own boxing gym when he returns to Osaka, so he used his lockdown period to practice his moves.

"I go to run every morning and I could see Machu Picchu afar in distance," Katayama said. "I thought I would never make it to Machu Picchu as I was expecting it won't open within this year. But I was OK with it because I had a great time here."

However, as he started to run out of money, it looked like Katayama would have to head back home to Japan without ever having used his Machu Picchu ticket.

Enter Andean Roots Peru, a local tour company. With help from the national Ministry of Culture, Katayama was given special permission to enter Machu Picchu — and to have the normally crowded site nearly all to himself. He was accompanied by two photographers who documented the experience and by Jose Bastante, the site's chief.

In a celebratory Instagram post, Katayama wrote, "I thought I never make it (to Machu Picchu) but everyone asked the government and the town and they (gave) me super special permission." He added: "Peruvians are soooo kind. Thank you soooo much!"

He said that he will leave Peru for Japan on Oct. 16. As he prepares to head home, he is saying goodbye to the townspeople who have become his friends over the past months. Several local children have drawn Katayama pictures and created a doll for him out of toilet paper rolls.

"I will definitely cry," he says about his farewell to Aguas Calientes. "These seven months have been very special to me. I have discovered a new part of me."

"The Japanese citizen has entered together with our head of the park so that he can do this before returning to his country," Peru's Minister of Culture Alejandro Neyra confirmed to reporters.

Neyra added that there are plans to reopen Machu Picchu to visitors at 30% capacity, but did not specify an exact date.


If you absolutely have to fly right now, here’s how to do it as safely as possible

The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.

Concerned about COVID-19?

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

  • Updated

THE HAGUE (AP) — The Dutch royal couple were back in the Netherlands Saturday after their vacation trip to Greece had to be abandoned because of an uproar back home, where people are urged to stay at home as much as possible.

  • Updated

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — The Dutch king issued a video message Wednesday saying he had “regret in the heart” and he shouldn't have flown to Greece for a family vacation last week, a trip that was quickly broken off amid public uproar back home where people are being urged to stay home as much as possible to battle the coronavirus.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News