With just two weeks left to play before regionals there is no clear hierarchy in Class 4A other than Thunder Basin being the team to beat.
The Bolts remain 4A’s lone unbeaten team while every other team around them relentlessly knocks off one another for crucial conference points. This week sees another shake-up after even a lighter week of action. And with a full slate this weekend, don’t expect to see the exact same trending teams this time next week.
Class 3A doesn’t have the same problem. Sure, there’s undefeated Worland and then a clear gap to second place, but it’s not as immediate of a plunge. Torrington and Powell remain contenders while Buffalo has recovered to become dangerous. And if anyone wants to knock off Worland, this upcoming weekend could be the time.
This is how things stand after the mid-season break:
1. Thunder Basin (9-0-1), Last week 1: The Bolts haven’t played in a week and remain undefeated going into a weekend of hosting Laramie and Cheyenne South.
2. Sheridan (5-5), LW 4: All of a sudden the Broncs are on a four-match winning streak and could solidify their legitimacy this weekend at Central and East.
3. Kelly Walsh (5-4), LW not ranked: The Trojans rebounded from their lowly road trip with a modest 2-0 win at Evanston. They continue their road swing to Jackson and Star Valley this weekend.
4. Cheyenne Central (4-3-1), LW not ranked: All of Central’s momentum abruptly stopped with back-to-back losses but the Tribe rebounded with a rivalry win before a big weekend at home.
5. Cheyenne East (3-4-1), LW not ranked: The Thunderbirds’ record isn’t pretty, but every match has been a battle. They will once again battle Sheridan this weekend.
1. Worland (9-0), LW 1: The Warriors look every bit like a returning state champion heading into another difficult weekend with home matches against Buffalo and Rawlins.
2. Torrington (7-3), LW 2: The Trailblazers ride a five-match winning streak into an inter-state matchup, but the big test will be Saturday at Buffalo.
3. Powell (7-3), LW 3: A split week with the one loss coming to No. 1 Worland has the Panthers staying where they are.
4. Buffalo (6-4), LW not ranked: The once-slipping Bison have since beaten Douglas, Rawlins and Class 4A Gillette. Next up, however, is top-ranked Worland.
5. Rawlins (5-3-1), LW 4: The Outlaws’ six-match unbeaten streak came to an end against Buffalo last weekend. They’ll try to regroup against Riverton and Worland this weekend.
Dropped out: Class 4A No. 2 Rock Springs (7-5), No. 3 Gillette (4-5), No. 5 Jackson (4-3-1); Class 3A No. 5 Cody (6-4).
— Compiled by staff writer Brady Oltmans.